Accessibility Training for Developers, Testers, and Content Creators
Our accessibility training classes tackle web accessibility, mobile accessibility, and document accessibility based on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0/2.1 Level AA and related standards (including Section 508 / Section 504). We also emphasize best practices that support a good user experience for everyone.
Our digital accessibility classes cover:
- Overview of Digital Accessibility
- Accessible Document Creation and PDF Remediation
- Accessible Website and Application Development
- Mobile Accessibility Testing and Remediation
Need a custom accessibility training plan or a group class at your site?
Please contact our Training Team to talk about options.
Why Take Microassist Digital Accessibility Training?
Microassist accessibility courses build on years of working with government, education, and business organizations on accessibility projects, plus 30 years of developing and delivering IT-related training. That means you’ll learn from instructors’ experience, practical exercises, and real-life scenarios in a way that will help you retain what you’ve learned and enable you to put new or enhanced skills to use right away.
You will learn tips and tricks we’ve gleaned through auditing, developing and remediating websites and documents for our clients—including university, state and federal government, education, and private-sector programs and organizations.
You’ll also get clear direction on not only ways to fulfill meeting accessibility guidelines, but proven techniques that work well for your web and mobile visitors.
Digital Accessibility Course Offerings
Microassist offers a wide range of digital accessibility courses. Course descriptions and links to complete class outlines are listed below.
Overview of Digital Accessibility
- Introduction to Accessibility (Self-paced, online) — An introductory and interactive workshop that explores basic accessibility concepts that apply across web pages, Microsoft® Word documents, PDF documents, and elearning (online training), as well as how those materials are perceived on various desktop and mobile devices.
Accessible Document Creation and PDF Remediation Training
- Document Accessibility, Part 1: Word Accessibility + PDF Accessibility, Fundamentals (1 day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. This course shows content creators using Microsoft Word 2016 how to create accessible documents that meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria, as well as how to convert those documents to accessible PDFs.
- Document Accessibility, Part 2: PDF Accessibility, Intermediate (1 day) —Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. Participants will use Acrobat Pro DC to remediate a PDF document so that it meets WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria and PDF/UA standards. This course is for students who want to remediate PDF documents for accessibility standards using the Adobe platform and are familiar with the topics in the “Document Accessibility, Part 1: Word Accessibility + PDF Accessibility, Fundamentals” course.
- Document Accessibility, Part 3: PDF Accessibility, Advanced (1 day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. This course builds on the “Document Accessibility, Part 2: PDF Accessibility, Intermediate course” and will teach participants how to remediate complex PDF documents so that they meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria and PDF/UA standards. This course is for “power remediators” who are very familiar with advanced PDF remediation topics.
- Document Accessibility: Accessible PowerPoint Presentations (Half day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. Students will use PowerPoint 2016 to enable users, including those with disabilities, to perceive and use the presentations they create.
Accessible Website and Application Development Training
- Digital Accessibility for Developers and Designers : Building an Accessible Slot Machine (2 day) — Workshop participants will envision, plan and construct an accessible slot maching to understand why we strive to make accessible experiences as well as the technical aspects of accessible user interfaces and application development.
Mobile Accessibility Testing and Remediation Training
- Mobile Accessibility, Part 2: Mobile Native Accessibility Testing and Development (1 day) — Picking up where the “intro” class above leaves off, attendees will learn how to test native apps with TalkBack for Android and VoiceOver for iOS, and use Android native keyboard accessibility techniques, accessibility testing with integrated developer environments Android Studio and Xcode, mobile simulator and on-device testing techniques, and advanced native iOS and Android accessibility APIs. There will be hands-on accessibility testing projects and group native app coding exercises.
Join an Open Enrollment Class or Arrange a Private Team Training
All Microassist accessibility training courses are created and taught by experienced accessibility professionals. We welcome individuals and teams to all our open enrollment classes in Austin, Texas.
If you are looking for a class that’s not on the schedule, please contact our Training Team. We also welcome questions about any accessibility training you would like customized for your organization or delivered at your site.
More Digital Accessibility Resources
- Accessibility Solutions
- Accessibility in the News Archives
- Digital Accessibility Digest / Lexis-Nexis Mealey’s© Articles
- The Training Manager’s Guide to Accessible Elearning
Accessibility Training Solutions for Government
We are glad to offer these classes to DIR-eligible customers through DIR Contract, DIR-TSO-3982: Technology Based Training, one of our four State of Texas DIR Contracts.