Accessibility Training for Developers, Testers, and Content Creators
Our accessibility training classes tackle web accessibility, mobile accessibility, and document accessibility based on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 WCAG 2.0 Level AA and related standards (such as Section 508. We also emphasize best practices that support a good user experience for everyone.
Our digital accessibility classes cover:
- Overview of Digital Accessibility
- Accessible Document Creation and PDF Remediation
- Accessible Website and Application Development
- Accessibility Testing and Remediation
Why Take Microassist Digital Accessibility Training?
Microassist accessibility courses build on years of working with government, education, and business organizations on accessibility projects, plus 30 years of developing and delivering IT-related training. That means you’ll learn from instructors’ experience, practical exercises, and real-life scenarios in a way that will help you retain what you’ve learned and enable you to put new or enhanced skills to use right away.
You will learn tips and tricks we’ve gleaned through auditing, developing or remediating websites and documents for our clients—including university, state and federal government, education, and private-sector programs and organizations.
You’ll also get clear direction on not only ways to fulfill meeting accessibility guidelines, but proven techniques that work well for your web and mobile visitors.
Below are descriptions of our accessibility training classes. Please check our Course Schedule for immediately upcoming, in-person, open enrollment, accessibility classes at our Training Center in Austin, Texas. For accessibility training on your campus, please contact our Training Team.
Digital Accessibility Class Descriptions
Click the name of each accessibility training course below for a more complete outline of the course. If a class is not currently scheduled, contact our Training Team to see about upcoming dates or scheduling a private class.
Overview of Digital Accessibility
- Introduction to Accessibility (1 day) — An introductory and interactive workshop that explores basic accessibility concepts that apply across web pages, Microsoft® Word documents, PDF documents, and elearning (online training), as well as how those materials are perceived on various desktop and mobile devices.
Accessible Document Creation and PDF Remediation Training
- Document Accessibility, Part 1: Word Accessibility + PDF Accessibility, Fundamentals (1 day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. This course shows content creators using Microsoft Word 2016 how to create accessible documents that meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria, as well as how to convert those documents to accessible PDFs. | Register for one of our next “Document Accessibility, Part 1: Word Accessibility + PDF Accessibility, Fundamentals” classes: July 17, 2018 or August 2, 2018 or September 11, 2018.
- Document Accessibility, Part 2: PDF Accessibility, Intermediate (1 day) —Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. Participants will use Acrobat Pro DC to remediate a PDF document so that it meets WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria and PDF/UA standards. This course is for students who want to remediate PDF documents for accessibility standards using the Adobe platform and are familiar with the topics in the “Document Accessibility, Part 1: Word Accessibility + PDF Accessibility, Fundamentals” course. | Register for one of our next “Document Accessibility, Part 2: PDF Accessibility, Intermediate” classes: July 23, 2018 or August 14, 2018 or September 19, 2018.
- Document Accessibility, Part 3: PDF Accessibility, Advanced (1 day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. This course builds on the “Document Accessibility, Part 2: PDF Accessibility, Intermediate course” and will teach participants how to remediate complex PDF documents so that they meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria and PDF/UA standards. This course is for “power remediators” who are very familiar with advanced PDF remediation topics. | Register for one of our next “Document Accessibility, Part 3: PDF Remediation, Advanced” classes: August 31, 2018 or September 26, 2018.
- Document Accessibility: Accessible PowerPoint Presentations (Half day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. Students will use PowerPoint 2016 to enable users, including those with disabilities, to perceive and use the presentations they create. | Register for an upcoming “Document Accessibility: Accessible PowerPoint Presentations” class on July 10, 2018 or August 20, 2018 or September 13, 2018.
Accessible Website and Application Development Training
- Web Accessibility Training for Developers: Principles of Accessible UI Design (1 day) — Explores patterns and practices used to make user interfaces that are accessible while minimizing the impact to standard user interface development. Features hands-on exercises using assistive technology on both desktop and mobile devices.
Accessibility Testing and Remediation Training
- Accessibility Training: Testing Strategies for the Organization (1 day) — This hands-on course covers testing strategies optimized by role, including those of UI designer, web developer, quality assurance tester, web content creator, support teams, and those responsible for long-term accessibility compliance monitoring. Exercises include using assistive technology on desktop and mobile devices.
- Mobile Accessibility, Part 2: Mobile Native Accessibility Testing and Development (1 day) — Picking up where the “intro” class above leaves off, attendees will learn how to test native apps with TalkBack for Android and VoiceOver for iOS, and use Android native keyboard accessibility techniques, accessibility testing with integrated developer environments Android Studio and Xcode, mobile simulator and on-device testing techniques, and advanced native iOS and Android accessibility APIs. There will be hands-on accessibility testing projects and group native app coding exercises.
Schedule Your Accessibility Training Class
Join an Open Enrollment Class or Arrange a Private, Group Training
All Microassist accessibility training courses are created and taught by experienced accessibility professionals. We welcome individuals and teams to all our open enrollment classes in Austin, Texas. Our Course Schedule lists all upcoming Microassist accessibility, IT, and productivity training classes.
If you are looking for a class that’s not on the schedule, please contact our Training Team. We also welcome questions about any accessibility training you would like customized for your organization or delivered at your site.
Additional Accessibility Services and Information
To learn more about accessibility, please visit our Accessibility Services page for information on our audit, remediation, and development services.
We also strongly encourage you to look through our Digital Accessibility Digest blog. There, you’ll find both extensive commentary on accessibility-related development in various industries, as well as archives of our Accessibility in the News e-newsletter—a weekly curation of accessibility stories, blogs, news articles, and more.
For information on training and accessibility services for State of Texas DIR-eligible customers,please visit our Government Training Services and Accessibility IT Services for Government pages for those details.