Accessibility Training for Developers, Testers, and Content Creators
Why Take Microassist Digital Accessibility Training?
Microassist accessibility course content builds on years of working with government, education, and business organizations on accessibility projects, plus 30 years of developing and delivering IT-related training. That means you’ll learn from instructors’ experience, practical exercises, and real-life scenarios in a way that makes sense. Our accessibility training focuses on Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 (WCAG 2.0) and related standards such as Section 508. We also emphasize best practices that support a good user experience for everyone.
Please check our Course Schedule for immediately upcoming in-person, open enrollment, accessibility classes at our Training Center in Austin, Texas. For accessibility training on your campus, please contact our Training Team.
Click the name of each accessibility training course below for a more complete outline the course.
General Digital Accessibility Training
- Accessibility of Things Workshop (1 day) — An introductory and interactive workshop that explores basic accessibility concepts that apply across web pages, Microsoft® Word documents, PDF documents, and elearning (online training), as well as how those materials are perceived on various devices.
Accessible Document Creation and Remediation Training
- Accessibility for Document Creators (1 day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. This course shows content creators using Microsoft Word 2016 how to create accessible documents that meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria, as well as how to convert those documents to accessible PDFs. | Register for our next “Accessibility for Document Creators” class on June 1, 2018.
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations (Half day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. Students will use PowerPoint 2016 to enable users, including those with disabilities, to perceive and use the presentations they create. | Register for an upcoming “Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations” class on May 11 or June 5, 2018.
- PDF Accessibility for Intermediate Remediators (1 day) —Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. Participants will use Acrobat Pro DC to remediate a PDF document so that it meets WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria and PDF/UA standards. This course is for students who want to remediate PDF documents for accessibility standards using the Adobe platform and are familiar with the topics in the Accessibility for Document Creators Course. | Register for our next “PDF Accessibility for Intermediate Remediators” class on May 23, 2018.
- *** COMING SOON: PDF Accessibility for Advanced Remediators (1 day) — Part of the Microassist Accessibility Series. This course builds on the PDF Accessibility for Intermediate Remediators course and will teach participants how to remediate complex PDF documents so that they meet WCAG 2.0 Level AA success criteria and PDF/UA standards. This course is for “power remediators” who are very familiar with advanced PDF remediation topics.
Accessible Website and Application Development Training
- Principles of Accessible UI Design (1 day) — Explores patterns and practices used to make user interfaces that are accessible while minimizing the impact to standard user interface development. Features hands-on exercises using assistive technology on both desktop and mobile devices.
Accessibility Testing and Remediation Training
- Accessibility Testing Strategies for the Organization (1 day) — This hands-on course covers testing strategies optimized by role, including those of UI designer, web developer, quality assurance tester, web content creator, support teams, and those responsible for long-term accessibility compliance monitoring. Exercises include using assistive technology on desktop and mobile devices.
- Advanced Mobile Native Accessibility Testing and Development (1 day) — Picking up where the “intro” class above leaves off, attendees will learn how to test native apps with TalkBack for Android and VoiceOver for iOS, and use Android native keyboard accessibility techniques, accessibility testing with integrated developer environments Android Studio and Xcode, mobile simulator and on-device testing techniques, and advanced native iOS and Android accessibility APIs. There will be hands-on accessibility testing projects and group native app coding exercises.
Schedule Your Accessibility Training Class
All Microassist accessibility training courses are created and taught by experienced accessibility professionals. We welcome individuals and teams to all our open enrollment classes in Austin. Our Course Schedule lists all upcoming Microassist accessibility, IT, and productivity training classes.
If you are looking for a class that’s not on the schedule, please contact our Training Team. We also welcome questions about any accessibility training you would like customized for your organization or delivered at your site.
Additional Digital Accessibility Services and Information
To learn more about accessibility, please visit our Accessibility Services page for information on our audit, remediation, and development services.
We also strongly encourage you to look through our Digital Accessibility Digest blog. There, you’ll find both extensive commentary on accessibility-related development in various industries, as well as archives of our Accessibility in the News e-newsletter—a weekly curation of accessibility stories, blogs, news articles, and more.
For information on training and accessibility services for State of Texas DIR-eligible customers,please visit our Government Training Services and Accessibility IT Services for Government pages for those details.