In the Microsoft Office 2013 version of Outlook, you can view your mailbox and calendar at the same time with just a few simple steps, saving yourself the trouble of clicking back and forth between your schedule and your email. To do this, you’ll open two windows in Outlook and then tile them side-by-side for simultaneous access and viewing. You can even save these settings so that this is your default display.
Get free Software Tips each month! Subscribe to our Training News newsletter using the form on this page!
Displaying Microsoft Outlook’s Mailbox and Calendar Side by Side
To open both windows in Outlook 2013:
- Click the Mail selection. Depending on your Outlook settings, Mail could be a text item at the bottom left of your screen or an envelope icon:
- In the navigation menu, right-click on the Calendar option, then select Open in New Window.
- When you first do this, one window will likely overlap the other.
To adjust the two Outlook windows so that they are displayed side-by-side:
- Close or minimize all other programs windows.
- Right click on an empty area of your Taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
- Choose “Show Windows Side by Side” from the pop-up menu.
You now have your inbox and calendar displayed at the same time!
Saving Your Outlook Display Settings
If you want the calendar and mailbox windows to display next to each other every time you launch the Outlook, you’ll need to save your settings. To do this, go to File and choose Exit to exit Outlook instead of clicking the Close (“X”) button. This way, your settings are saved. The next time you open Outlook, your calendar and mail windows will open side by side.
Additional Outlook Resources
- To learn about upcoming classes on Outlook 2013, please visit our Course Schedule page.
- To schedule a custom Outlook 2013 class on your organization’s campus, please contact our Training Team.
- We have more Outlook tips in our Recent Posts and Categories sections. These are on the right side of your screen if viewing from a desktop.
Be sure to look through our other Software Tips for more on Microsoft Office applications, Crystal Reports, and more.
Subscribe to Monthly Training Updates
Receive monthly productivity and training insights, software tips, and notices of upcoming classes!