Save multiple Word documents instantaneously
Microsoft Word allows users to save multiple Word documents at once, then close them in one click. If you make changes to multiple open documents and then want to quickly save and close all of them, this can be achieved with very little effort.
In previous versions of Word 2003 or earlier, when holding the “Shift” key and clicking the “File” menu, the “Save” command would change to “Save All” and the “Close” command changed to “Close All.” That feature no longer applies to version 2007 through the current version of Microsoft Word 2016.
This change took place when the menu bar in Word 2007 was replaced by the ribbon; however, these commands are still available in all versions of Word. The steps below will show you how to add the “Save All” and “Close All” commands to the “Quick Access Toolbar” using version 2007 or later.
How to Add the “Save All” command to the Quick Access Toolbar
- Click the File menu
- Go to Options
- Click the Quick Access Toolbar from within in the left panel to reveal the Customize the Quick Access Toolbar options
- Choose Commands Not in the Ribbon from the “Choose commands from:” drop down menu
- Scroll down to select the Close All command
- Click Add to add the “Close All” command to the Quick Access Toolbar
- Go back and scroll down further to select the Save All command
- Click Add to add the “Save All” command to the Quick Access Toolbar
When you’ve finished making your changes, click “OK” to accept them and close the “Word Options” dialog box. Now you can select the Save All or Close All button in your Quick Access Toolbar to save or close all open Word documents at once.
Additional Word Productivity Resources
- To dive deeper into Word, consider taking a full-day Microassist Word 2013 course with our amazing instructors. Visit our Course Schedule page to see upcoming classes.
- To schedule a custom class for any Microsoft application on your organization’s campus, please contact our Training Team.
Subscribe to Monthly Training Updates
Receive monthly productivity and training insights, software tips, and notices of upcoming classes!