Government PDF & Document Remediation Services
Microassist’s document remediation team helps Federal agencies achieve compliance with Section 508, 504, and 503 of the Rehabiliation Act of 1973.
Adobe PDFs, Microsoft Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, and audio and video files can be unperceivable by individuals with disabilities because accessibility wasn’t considered when the content was created.
It’s not just online files, either. Files that are emailed or otherwise sent digitally to the general public are also at risk of being discriminatory if not properly prepared.
This can be critical for government agencies as they navigate meeting compliance requirements and strategic accessibility goals recently released in the President’s Management Agenda for citizen services.
Need to talk about making your documents Section 508 or WCAG compliant ASAP? Contact us. We’d be glad to discuss your file formats, requirements, and deadlines—and how we can help.
Why Choose Microassist to Remediate
Our team will help you scope the size and timeline of your document remediation project. PDF remediation projects are typically priced by page and complexity. Determining the number of PDFs and pages that need to be remediated and their complexity is not always easy. Our remediation team will work with you to scope the size and timeline of the engagement.
Our team uses a combination of manual and automated methods to remediate your PDFs economically but correctly. We believe that automated tagging tools can give you a headstart on PDF remediation. However, manual effort is required to make a document fully accessible and compliant. Our remediation team adds appropriate alt-tags to images, works with your graphic design team to ensure that images meet color-contrast requirements, ensures that the reading order conveys the author intent, and tests forms to make sure that they work.
Our Team Can Help You Create, Remediate, and Maintain Accessible PDFs
Microassist can work with your agency’s team to establish best practices to address and maintain accessibility from creation to publishing. We can enable your team to upload accessible documents and materials to your website. In each case, we abide by recognized accessibility standards such as the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and PDF/UA:
- We can remediate a backlog of existing PDFs that need accessibility remediation.
- We can take your final content and remediate PDFs before posting online.
- We can work with your content creators and designers to address accessibility through templates, styles, and accessibility best practices during planning stages so that documents can be made accessible as they are being created.
- We can convert appropriate content to PDF files using recommended workflows, making content accessible in that format before posting the PDF file online.
- We can provide regular training for subject matter experts across the organization, and help your organization establish policies and checklists that help you maintain an accessible online presence.
Building in document accessibility from the beginning as part of an organization’s standard operating procedure is significantly less burdensome than remediating hundreds of files at a later date. But in either case, we can partner with you to make sure your content is accessible to all.
Get your document remediation questions answered
To discuss how Microassist can help your agency achieve your compliance goals, register here and we’ll be in touch to schedule a consultation.