Accessible Elearning Development
What is Accessible Elearning Development?
Accessible elearning includes the art and science of making materials perceivable to people
- who are blind or have low vision,
- are part of the Deaf community, or are hard of hearing,
- have mobility impairments, or
- have cognitive challenges.
This means that your elearning can be taken by those:
- who use assistive technologies such as JAWS or magnifying software,
- who require closed captioning for your narrations and videos,
- who cannot move a mouse with precision, or
- who may need more time to read and understand your content.
Want to talk to someone about creating accessible online training for your organization? Contact us.
Who Needs It? Actually, Everyone!
- Ever have to increase the font size of a webpage?
- Ever try to hear narration in a noisy environment?
- Ever have a hard time getting the mouse pointer exactly over a button to click on it?
- Ever have difficulty understanding the navigation on a page?
- “Everyone” includes our employees and clients or others are affected by situational infirmities, including many of our veterans.
Our Accessible Elearning Development Services
Microassist can help you create compliant, accessible elearning, evaluate existing elearning for compliance, and remediate elearning to meet accessibility standards.
- Our instructional design teams are well versed in Section 508, WCAG 2.0, and many state laws such as Texas Administrative Code, Title 1, Chapters 206 and 213. They can guide teams through the process of designing accessible elearning.
- Our design teams specialize in making elearning modules accessible in a variety of formats — HTML, PDF, PowerPoint, Word documents, video, audio, etc.
- We use industry standard, rapid elearning development tools to create rich learning experiences for all learners.
- Microassist’s award-winning accessible project design methodology ensures training materials are delivered on time, on budget, and are of the highest quality.
- The training division has extensive knowledge of many industry standard and open source learning management systems (LMSs) that will fit almost any budget.
- Microassist will host your accessible open source or proprietary LMS for a rapid launch!
Accessible training doesn’t have to be boring! By blending instructional design and universal design philosophies, we create a rich, interactive experience that enables the best experience for all learners.
Presentations and Other Resources
- Using Pattern Libraries for Accessible Elearning: Insights from CSUN 2018
- Getting Started with Accessible Elearning (and 2018 CSUN Assistive Technology Conference Takeaways)
- How to Make Elearning Accessible: Insights from the 2017 CSUN Assistive Technology Conference
- Is Your Website Discriminatory? Many Are. [Free Paper]
- Principles and Tools from Modern Accessibility Techniques
- Is Captivate Speaking to Me – Using Text to Speech
- Creating Accessible Elearning with Lectora
- Accessibility: Why It’s Worth It
- Digital Accessibility Digest — Microassist blog on accessibility issues and implementation
- Learning Dispatch — Microassist learning and development blog
- Microassist Elearning Examples Drawn from Texas DSHS Projects
- Elearning Spotlight: Texas Vaccine Education Online
- 2016 OpenAIR (Accessibility Internet Rally) Second Place — Unchain My Art — a website designed for 4Cs
- 2012 Small Employer of the Year – Austin Mayor’s Committee for People with Disabilities
- 2012 AIR (Accessibility Internet Rally) Interactive First Prize – Unchain my Art – a website designed for The Austin Jazz Alliance
- 2010 AIR (Accessibility Internet Rally) People’s Choice Award – Unchain my Art – a website designed for East End Cultural Heritage District
- 2010 AIR (Accessibility Internet Rally) 2nd Place – Unchain my Art – a website designed for East End Cultural Heritage District.
Accessibility Community Participation
Microassist CTO Hiram Kuykendall regularly participates in community events geared toward promoting accessibility.
- Open AIR 2016 — Training Chair
- Open AIR 2012 – Training Chair
- AIR Austin 2011 – Board Member
- AIR Austin 2010 – Chairperson, AIR Austin
- AIR Austin 2010 – Chairperson, AIR Interactive
Other Accessibility Services
In addition to accessible elearning, Microassist’s suite of accessibility services includes
- accessibility audits
- accessible web and application development
- accessible document and file services
- website, application, and document remediation
- accessibility training
- documentation and reporting for government vendors and contractors
- and more…
Contact Us about Creating Accessible Elearning for Your Organization!
Our experienced instructional designers, project managers, and elearning developers stand ready to support your online training. For more on our accessible online training development processes and experience, please Contact Us. We’d be glad to see how we can partner with you to create WCAG- and Section 508-compliant elearning.