Accessible Online Training (Webinar)
Specific to Accessible Learning for Live
- Best Video Conferencing Apps and Software for Accessibility
An overview of the best video conferencing apps for accessibility.
- PEAT’s Guide to Telework and Accessibility
A guide to telework and accessibility, many elements of which can be adapted for live online training.
- Accessible Remote Meetings
From Minnesota IT Services, a guide to accessible remote meetings, many elements of which can also be adapted for live online training.
- How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All
The Web Accessibility Initiative’s guide to accessible presentations. Written for in-person presentations, but many suggestions can be applied to virtual training.
Specific to Accessible Learning for Later
- The Training Manager’s Guide to Accessible Elearning
A discussion of factors a training manager should consider when creating accessible elearning.
- “E-Learning for All”—A TD Magazine article | PDF
Factors for elearning developers to consider when creating accessible elearning.
- Creating Accessible eCourses: eCourse and Storyline Checklist | PDF
Doug Harriman’s guide on developing accessible elearning. The guidance is general, although the specific examples are illustrated with Articulate Storyline.
- Creating Accessible eLearning: Practitioner Perspectives: Research Library | The eLearning Guild
eLearning Guild report on accessible elearning. Please Note that free membership required to access.
- A comparison of the accessibility features of popular authoring tools
Diane Elkins’s guide to the accessibility features of rapid elearning authoring solutions. Created in 2012, but has relevant guidance.
- JAWS tips for SoftChalk courses
Luke Stollings’s guide to optimizing SoftChalk courses for the JAWS screen reader.
- Guidelines for using Captivate to build accessible online courses | PDF
Valerie Bergloff’s guide to using Captivate to create accessible elearning.
Elearning in General
- Resources from Webinar, “Develop the Elearning Your Program Deserves”
A collection of research related to elearning, learning in general, graphic design, and project management.
- Blog post describing the use of a catalog of elearning interactions
A long overview of some ways to pursue creative learning solutions while working within constraints.
- Blog post describing an interaction catalog approach that doesn’t use an interaction catalog
A short overview of some ways to pursue creative learning solutions while working within constraints.
Accessibility in General
- Newsletter: Accessibility in the News
Jack McElaney’s weekly curated newsletter, collecting news items, job opportunities, and conferences relevant to accessibility.
- Newsletter: Web Design References: Webdev Newsletter
Laura Carlson’s weekly curated newsletter, with a strong focus on accessible web design.
- A Book Apart, Accessibility for Everyone
Laura Kalbag’s great (and relatively short) introduction to designing accessible content.
- The Implementation of Web Accessibility Standards by Dutch Municipalities. Factors of Resistance and Support | PDF
A dissertation that discusses, and draws lessons from, a survey of the accessibility of websites of Dutch municipalities (in English).
- How to Meet WCAG 2 (Quickref Reference)
An easily digestible guide to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.
- Professional Web Accessibility Auditing Made Easy – Open Textbook
A free textbook that provides an overview of auditing websites for accessibility.
- Digital Accessibility as a Business Practice – Open Textbook
A free textbook that describes the business case for accessibility.
- Web Accessibility for Developers – Open Textbook
A highly technical free textbook that discusses the coding aspects of creating an accessible website.
- Making Content Usable for People with Cognitive and Learning Disabilities
Working draft (from the W3C) that discusses designing content so that it is usable for people with cognitive and learning disabilities.
- Accessibility for UX Designers
Considerations for creating accessible design. Written for web developers, applicable to online training.
- Web Accessibility Perspectives: Explore the Impact and Benefits for Everyone
A series of videos showing the impact of accessibility.
- Microsoft Inclusive Design
Microsoft’s inclusive design website, with toolkits and guides.
- Writing Great Alt Text
Whitney Quesenbery’s guide to writing great alt text.
- TPG: Colour Contrast Analyser
Downloadable color contrast analyzer from the Paciello Group.
- WebAIM: Color Contrast Checker
WebAIM’s web-based color contrast checker.
- PDF Accessibility Checker (PAC)
PDF automatic accessibility checking tool that determines a PDF’s compliance with PDF/UA success criteria (PDF/UA is an accessibility standard designed specifically for PDF files).
- NVDA Screen Reader
Popular (and free) screen reader for Windows environments.
- Challenges with Accessibility Guidelines Conformance and Testing, and Approaches for Mitigating Them
First public working draft (from the W3C) that discusses the challenges with using automated testing for large or complex websites (a category that can include elearning); useful for its analysis of what can currently be checked automatically, and what should be checked manually.
- Web Accessibility Testing Tools: The Practical Role of Automated Checkers
Hiram Kuykendall’s discussion about the proper use of automated website accessibility checkers.
- Principles and Tools from “Modern Accessibility Techniques” Event
Includes a list of tools that can be used to check the accessibility of webpages.