Case Study: Customized Classroom Training Targets Specific Skills to Drive Results
The Background: Microsoft Office Training Project
The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) is a government agency that provides retirement and other benefit programs for state employees, retirees, and their dependents. The Human Resources section provides salary administration, benefits administration, recruitment and selection, employee relations, staff training and development and other employee-oriented functions for ERS.
The agency keeps its employees knowledgeable on the programs they use in their daily work.
Client: Employees Retirement System of Texas
Project Dates: 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015
The Solution: Customized Classroom Training
In 2010, 2011, 2013, and 2015, Microassist created a customized classroom training program to keep ERS employees up to date on new software versions as well as important tools available in each program. To maximize return for the employee time invested, Microssist customized the class content to cover topics specifically needed by ERS employees. By focusing the content, classes were cut down from one full day to a half-day for each course. Sample exercises pulled from typical ERS projects also allowed learners to practice the real-life functions they would need to complete their tasks, making the theoretical more relevant, increasing “stickiness” of the principles learned, and directly affecting daily productivity.
Classes focused on Microsoft Office programs and ranged from introductory level up to expert. Additionally, these customized training classes were held on-site at ERS to make it convenient for employees to attend.
The Results: High Return on Training Investment
Customized classroom training accommodated skills, location, and scheduling needs. Through this ERS-specific training program:
- More than 200 ERS employees have been trained in relevant, immediately usable software functions and concepts, with many employees taking multiple classes
- Training was administered conveniently and with minimal productivity impact productivity
- The half-day structure allowed employees to attend two classes on the same day or attend one class and contribute to daily work the rest of the day
- Onsite instruction eliminated travel costs, allowed employees to be available for urgent matters
- Through relevant, hands-on instruction, students:
- Learned tools to improve critical department spreadsheets
- Increased efficiency in working with those spreadsheets
- Analyzed data more effectively, improving insights and reporting
For More Information
Microassist gladly partners with in-house training teams, professional development groups, colleges and other training providers to provide standard or customized courseware and classroom instruction. We can conduct instructor-led training (ILT) either at your location or at our training rooms. Please contact our training team to learn more.